Bayern Munich: Three key stats from 4-1 win over RB Leipzig

Bayern Munich players celebrating against RB Leipzig on Saturday. (Photo by RONNY HARTMANN/AFP via Getty Images)
Bayern Munich players celebrating against RB Leipzig on Saturday. (Photo by RONNY HARTMANN/AFP via Getty Images) /

Bayern Munich recorded an important three points on Saturday with a 4-1 win over RB Leipzig. Despite only leading by one goal at halftime, the visitors scored three second-half goals to pull away from the hosts and earn their third victory of the 2021/22 Bundesliga season.

The win against Leipzig allows Bayern to have a seven-point advantage over Die Rotten Bullen in the table. Additionally, it gives Julian Naglesmann one of his first key victories as manager of Bayern. The new manager has yet to lost a competitive fixture this season.

Here are three key stats from the massive win.

Bayern limits opportunities from inside the penalty area

Leipzig registered a total of ten shots and 60% of those attempts were from outside of the penalty area. The remaining 40% came from inside the penalty area, however, there were no attempts allowed from within the six-yard box. Leipzig’s offense. which had scored four goals against Stuttgart in their previous home match. was very limited when it came to high-quality opportunities.

The lone goal for the hosts did come from outside the penalty area with a top-class strike from Konrad Laimer. However, they were unable to generate chances for striker Andre Silva who recorded zero shots on goal and had a goal ruled out due to an offside call. Silva scored all 28 of his goals last season from inside the penalty area and Leipzig was unable to create the opportunities he needed to get scoring chances from within the box.

Out possessed

It’s not often Bayern register a possession statistic below 50% but that was the case on Saturday as they finished with 47.5% of the possession. Despite this, the match still resulted in a commanding victory for Bayern. This was also the scenario in Die Roten’s last win over Leipzig when they finished with 47% of the possession in their 1-0 win on Matchday 27 of the 2020/21 campaign. Entering this match, Bayern had been out-possessed just six times in their last three Bundesliga seasons.

Next. Coman sets eye on move to Premier League. dark

Jamal Musiala is on track for a big season

Musiala’s goal and assist were instrumental in Bayern’s victory. The 18-year-old talent now has four goals and two assists in all competitions for Bayern in six appearances. Last season, Musiala finished with seven goals and one assist in all competitions.

Currently, he is averaging 0.5 goals per game in the German top-flight which is higher than his average from last season which was 0.2 goals. If Musiala continues to score goals at a consistent rate then he is certainly going to register his first season of ten goals or more. This has the potential to be a breakout campaign for one of the rising stars in world football.