Jerome Boateng is a liability
There has been a reoccurring negative theme in defense for the past few weeks as playing Jerome Boateng in central defense is a problem for Bayern, and opposing teams are punishing us for it. Today it was Rashica who targeted Boateng as he received a ball in an attacking position and just ran at the defender. Boateng did not do anything to stop the attacker and allowed him to shoot outside of the box resulting in a brilliant strike for the opening goal.
More from Bayern Strikes
- Bayern Munich: Top three performers in win away at Augsburg
- Bayern Munich: Takeaways from hard fought win in Augsburg
- Bayern Munich huff and puff to victory away at Augsburg
- Bayern Munich planning to part ways with French midfielders next summer
- Bayern Munich is against the idea of European Super League
Throughout the first half, the opposition attacked Bayern’s right side of the defense, where Boateng was stationed. After receiving a yellow and committing a couple of other fouls, the defender was subbed off at halftime.
As soon as this switch was made, Bayern’s defense became solid and allowed the attack to punish Bremen. The German defender has been on a steep decline for the past few seasons. The opposition targets him as he struggles to keep up with swift forwards.
With Flick giving appearances to youngsters recently, at what point will we see Lars Lukas Mai on the field? Surely he can’t play worse than Boateng right now.